onsdag 9 februari 2011

Work



The year of the rabbit. And miss Kitty.
The reason why I am here. After two years in Singapore it was time to move on and I got a really good job offer at a pharmaceutical company here in Beijing. It's actually the same company that my best friend's husband worked for when they were living here. They are also the reason why I even considered coming here, if I hadn't visited them I wouldn't even known of or fallen in love with this city. So I'm not that adventurous, even though my colleagues may think I'm a bit of a strange girl for coming here. There are not many westerners working at the company here in Beijing, we are three. Another swede and a danish lady. Most of the people have been abroad, in the states. Some have studied in Japan, Singapore, Taiwan so the crowd is very international. Although the organization is very scandinavian, we work strictly 40 hours week and we seem to have kind of a flat organization, which suits me fine.

I have been very well taken care of, I even have my own assigned buddy who makes sure I have lunch and teaches me all the things I need to know outside and inside the office. My room mates are super sweet and cool and teaches me useful greeting phrases such as "Have you eaten today"! They were very concerned for my footware not being warm enough so one of my roomies took me to yashow to get me some uggs. I feel very lucky I got this job.



Photo-time
Every year they have a New Years Party, and I came just in time. And of course I had to perform, so me and the other swede were 'encourage' to sing a traditional song from our home town (we are both from Stockholm) so Abba it was!

There were a lot of other performances and they were really good! Well at least they looked really talented,  I could understand maybe 0.5% of the whole evening and felt like the most boring person in the world. I also had the misfortune to end up at the table with all the people who doesn't speak a single word of English.


I hope next year I will have learned more Chinese so I can understand something. Although I was very disheartened when I saw my other Swedish colleague staring blankly in the air during most part of the dinner. He has been here for over two years.

Dinner



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar