onsdag 9 februari 2011

Sött och Salt

Of course not everything is perfect. A lot of things are good and different and I have only been here for one month but there is a couple things that is quite difficult.

The language and culture. These go hand in hand. This is hard. Most young people speak some English, but you can't take that for granted. I will never forget when I was here for the interview, I was staying in this weird palace like hotel close to the work. I was totally exhausted after the interview and I needed to book a taxi for the airport, I was leaving super early in the morning. I assumed that "taxi" was a commonly known word. It wasn't. But the front desk girl was super sweet and helpful, she called a friend who helped me explain what I wanted and 5 am the taxi arrived! Even in the convenient store here the staff don't speak English. Taxi and in some stores they most likely don't speak English. You have to be very creative, notes written by colleagues, charades, sign language...If you don't understand the language you can't understand the culture and vise versa. So language course is on the agenda. I have taken courses in Singapore but it didn't exactly help. I know people say that you don't need to learn Chinese, and most people go through this "want to learn Chinese" phase and then give up.

Friends and family. I miss you, and it's really hard not having you around to fika and chat with. I think and hope that Beijing is going to be a interesting place to find new friends, at least I haven't met a single person saying they work with banking or logistic! There seem to be a lot of creative people and I look forward to meet them. But I miss you alot.

3 kommentarer:

  1. När folk ser desperationen i ögonen så blir de genast lite mer hjälpsamma. Det är som att de räddar en från räddmans grepp.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Å vi saknar dig!!! Ska försöka klämma in ett besök i Moderlandet så snart det bara går. Förhoppningsvis lagom tills du har lärt dig konversera med taxichauförer och servetriser så att vi inte kommer vilse och måste äta hund.
    Kram
    /Hanna

    SvaraRadera
  3. haha Ja desperationen har lyst i ögonen många många gånger! Och kom och hälsa på! Ni är sååå välkomna!! Men vi borde boka HK också! Massor med kramar!

    SvaraRadera